“I don’t do classes, *eye roll*.” I said that so smugly before I learned to #lovelouder.
I remember saying that to my friend Mary. Admittedly, I was perfectly happy with the routines I’d been generously given and was happy moving from the elliptical to weighs to the rowing machine back to the weights. She’d talked me into trying Pound. I did it mostly because I wanted to support my friend, I won’t lie. And I went back because I felt like my presence told her I cared enough about her to do something that made me uncomfortable. I stood in the far right-hand corner. I occasionally brought a friend and then? Then I realized how much better I felt after 45 minutes of slamming sticks into the floor and when I began to fully concentrate on what I was getting from Pound, I fell in love.
I can squat like a boss but what I really got was mental peace. 45 minutes of slamming green sticks into the ground and forcing myself to do just one more T & A track. I got lost in it. It was the only time during the week I’d fully stop thinking about what had happened, what was going on and why I was so sad.
I’d started working out to get strong. I was scared for a long time. I still am, if I am completely real. Waiting for the moment that everything changes. I joined the gym to get strong, both emotionally and physically and because I’d read that I could help myself by working out. And it worked. But it never fully took me out of the prison I’d been thrown into because of the fear. I’d ramp up my speed on the elliptical, hoping to drown out the noise but I never really stopped thinking about all of it. I didn’t until I found Pound.
It’s a game changer for me. I know, it sounds cliché. And maybe it is but it’s another of the things that saved my life. Therapy, medicine, inner strength, and Pound. I am that girl and I am proud of it.
I don’t know what came over me this winter but when Mary announced there would be a Pound Pro training, I wished I could come up with the money. She went out of her way to get me a discount and this month, I officially became a Pound Pro. It was scary and totally out of my normal character but I did it. I have my Ripstiks sitting here every day to remind me of how far I’ve come. A year ago, I’d never had even considered teaching a fitness class, let alone set foot in a gym but here I am, ready to help people, just like me.
The Pound Pro class was so awesome. We got this amazing teacher who just overflowed love. And the thing that stuck with me most was the hashtag she provided, #lovelouder. And so that is what I am doing. I am learning to love louder. I am learning to take control of the mental illness that used to have control over me.
How can Pound help you?
- It’s gonna make your ass amazing. Don’t quote me but I think that we do at least 200 squats a class. It’s amazing and challenging and transforming for a once flat hiney. And let’s be real, in the age of the legging, we want to have a phat ass! I know I do anyway.
- Hitting things? Can I tell you how much I benefit from pounding the hell out of the floor? I take out all my angry and sad and frustration on a mat with those beautiful green sticks. I fully believe it’s what’s kept me from doing and saying things that I shouldn’t. It keeps me grounded, kind and mature.
- I have met some AMAZING people. Of course, I knew Mary before. But I got to have dinner with area Pound Pros as well as making friends with a wonderful woman named, Katie. Also? Diane. Who stands next to me on purpose because I help her. It’s amazing for my self-confidence to know that me working out, helps Diane who is the kindest, most wonderful, lady.
- It’s given me power and could you too! I tell everyone about Pound and what it’s done for my body and mind! It makes me brave and makes me want to help others, like you! Who is looking for a way to help your body and your mind.
- Taken directly from the website: Numerous studies have proven the powerful brain-boosting, stress-relieving effects of drumming. The rhythm of drumming permeates the entire brain to improve focus, increase higher-level thinking and decision-making skills, boost the immune system, lower blood pressure, decrease chronic pain, anxiety, and fatigue. Dude, POUND MAKES US SMARTER!!
- I mean this hashtag speaks for itself, #lovelouder
I don’t know that I will ever teach. I’m not gonna lie, I haven’t even signed up for the label yet but I am a supporter. I love it. Every moment of it. From the classes to the Pound Pro training to just knowing I have this beautiful group of women supporting me. Because really, that’s what it is all about. Women supporting women and some men too! We’re a village. Let’s pound that into place.
I am setting a goal for myself to learn a routine in 6 months and then gauge if I am ready enough to teach it. I can do it, right? My Pound sisters (and brothers) will tell me yes. You? Be my support and hopefully someday, I will be teaching you!
For more information about Pound fit or about becoming a Pound Pro like me, visit their website. You won’t be sorry. I mean a mash-up of Missy Elliott and The Black Keys. You can’t go wrong. I’ll teach you, someday.. to Pound your way to awesome. Okay, that’s a stretch. You’re likely already there. I just want to show you that you are. #Lovelouder